Sometimes the most simple and traditional recipes turn out to be healthy. Take Toad in the Hole, for example:
This simple dish is delicious and healthy. Here is the recipe:
Toad in the Hole
- One slice of whole wheat bread
- One egg
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a glass, cut a hole in the whole wheat bread.
- Place the bread in the pan and crack the egg into the hole.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Put a lid on the pan and cook for four minutes.
- Toast the round piece.
Calories: Approx. 150 WWPoints: 3
I like to have this for breakfast because it’s very filling and will last me even if my lunch hour comes late in the day.
Update 03-18-10: I learned last month that this dish is NOT called Toad in the Hole. That is a sausages in Yorkshire Pudding dish, which I have never made nor tasted. This dish is called Eggs in a Nest. Mike’s mom always called this dish Toad in the Hole, so that’s what I called it here (since he taught me to make it). If you would like to see a variation of this recipe, here is another version: