Janet Jackson Keeps The Weight Off For A Year

By Laura Moncur @ 1:26 pm — Filed under:

Janet Jackson on the cover of US MagazineLast year, Janet Jackson shocked all of us by losing 6o pounds in four months. I talked about it here:

She has been able to keep the weight off for a year and according to the cover of the magazine, she will share her “secrets” with us.

What’s her secret?

Eating light and clean helps, but you really shouldn’t think of it as a diet, otherwise you feel like you are depriving yourself. If you crave something, you should have a little bit of it, then let it go and move on. Do a little extra exercise so you’re back on track.

She exercises six days a week doing cardio mostly. She has toned down on the weight training because she has injured her rotator cuff, so any workout that affects her shoulder has been cut out of her routine.

From the example menu and workout list, it looks like she is keeping things REALLY light in order to keep her size four frame.

I have to admit that seeing her look so good after a whole year is really inspiring to me. I think to myself, “Janet has been fighting this her whole life. If she can do it, then I can too.” Personal trainers and chefs? The fact that she has access to them doesn’t change my level of inspiration. I can plan my own meals. I can create a workout.

I really believe that 90% of weight loss happens in my head and the other 10% is what I do on the treadmill or put in my mouth. When I decide that it’s possible, nothing can stop me. When I decide that it’s hopeless, nothing can help me. Just seeing how well Janet has been able to keep off the weight really helps me get that 90% back into gear.


The Future of Street View on Google Maps

By Laura Moncur @ 10:07 am — Filed under:

Street View on Google Maps is a new feature that allows you to see an image of the street on the map. Jason Kottke has been fantasizing about the future of Street View here:

I’m sure this functionality is coming, but when using the new Street View feature in combination with driving directions on Google Maps, I want a play button that drives me from the starting point to my destination, showing me the street-level view along the way.

Wouldn’t it be great if you could just set up the computer in front of your treadmill and tell it to map out a route and a speed and you could pretend you’re running around the streets of New York? That’s why I started filming my Starling Fitness Walking DVDs so I could do just that. I’m perfectly willing to pass the torch to Google if they are able to pick it up.

For more information about Street View, watch this video:


Flat-Bottomed Girl

By Laura Moncur @ 9:34 am — Filed under:

Read this and while you do, insert your own hated body part whenever she talks about her butt.

In the end, we all have to accept ourselves the way we are and enjoy the good.

I’ve accepted that I’m never going to have a rump like J. Lo or Scarlett Johansson. I’m never going to have a killer rack like Megan Mullally or Jessica Simpson. But I have made men walk into walls by wearing a short skirt, I will never “have to” wear a bra, and I’m the only member of my family gifted with slender ankles. So I’ll accept my flat ass and belt out my own version of “Fat Bottomed Girls” (changing the lyrics to “Flat Bottomed Girls”) when I strut down the street, knowing that no matter what my ass looks like, I can still make this rockin’ world go ’round.

« Previous Page - Next Entries »

Powered by WordPress
(c) 2004-2017 Starling Fitness / Michael and Laura Moncur